Just a tip from me to you and to the future me…
It is NOT a GOOD idea to go on a 10-12 hour road trip while 32 weeks pregnant. Definitely not a good idea in any way shape or form.
Long, eventful, and stressful story short:
The trip from Dallas to Southern Illinois to visit my parents was a relative breeze! A few more Pee Stops than the usual trip, but altogether not too bad. I think my back hurt worse on the drive from Dallas to Houston the week before!
Visit with my parents was awesome – we even got snowed/iced in with winter storm Cleon. 10″ of snow fell in under 12 hours. Awesome. Gorgeous. Rare.
The “awesome” snow then made life miserable.
Points of Misery:
- We were forced to cut our visit short by a day to make sure that we’d make it home by Monday (we knew having to stay the night somewhere was a real possibility due to road conditions and traffic).
- My dad had to tow us before we even got 20 yards from my parents’ back door.
- There were inches of ice on the road in many spots in Illinois and Missouri. Arkansas was only a mild improvement.
- It took us 4 1/2 hours to go 45 miles at one point. I almost had to ask a family with an RV if I could pee in their camper. True Story.
- I ate close to a dozen “Cuties” a.k.a. mandarin oranges the first day on the road. I’m pretty sure my Nissan Juke still smells like citrus fruit. It could be worse.
- We had to stop and spend the night in Texarkana, shortly after having to stop and eat at a Cracker Barrel in Little Rock. Talk about a really classy night out with hubby
- Plus side of our misadventure – the new Best Western PLUS concept is really nice!! Two thumbs up for their new line of hotels.
- The second day of driving was terrible! I was super uncomfortable and hadn’t really gotten any sleep. Talk about a rotten way to spend your morning.
I will never again take on such a huge trip while 8 months pregnant.
We’ve now been home for 2 days and I’m just now starting to feel better. I felt like I’d been kicked by a horse, run over by a truck, put out of commission by a hangover, and to top it all off I ended up having some pretty uncomfortable stomach pains from all the stress and time cooped up in the car.
I’m glad to be home. Glad to be out of the car. && I’m now officially addicted to mandarin oranges.
- Snow, ice move into southern Illinois (kmov.com)
- Live Blog: Winter Storm Cleon Is Coming For All Of Us (blogs.dallasobserver.com)
- Ice Storms Causes Terrible Road Conditions And School Closings (webpronews.com)
- Jim Cantore heads to Dallas to cover Winter Storm Cleon for TWC (examiner.com)
- Snow, ice cancel more than 1,650 flights (cbsnews.com)
- Snow in southern Illinois (cinewsnow.com)
- Winter Storm Cleon (theforestworld.wordpress.com)
- Snowstorm Hitting Southern Illinois, Indiana (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- This Weekend’s Winter Storm Needs A Better Name (kvil.cbslocal.com)
- Weather Channel Names The Winter Storm “Cleon”…Really? (kvil.cbslocal.com)